Standing desks have been popular for years now. People love them as much for their ability to cut into sitting time at work as they do for their purported health benefits.
They’re not just good for your resting heart rate, though. Using a sit-stand desk can also drastically improve your level of productivity.
A 2015 study from Texas A&M University found that employees who used stand-capable desks were 46% more productive than those at traditional desks. That’s the kind of result you just can’t ignore. I mean, who wouldn’t want to increase their productivity by almost 50%?
Keep reading for some helpful tips on how sit-stand desks can up your productivity game, as well as how to choose the best one. Here’s what you need to know:
How do standing desks increase productivity?
It sounds a little unbelievable, right? Who would think that just standing up could so drastically increase productivity? But the numbers don’t lie–it really works. Using a standing desk:
- Improves focus: Think about sitting at your desk at work all day. You might take a lunch break, but otherwise, you’re in the same exact spot for roughly eight hours straight. It gets boring. Standing up improves circulation and leads to better focus. In fact, 71% of employees who reduced their sitting time by just one hour a day reported increased mental clarity.
- Increases energy: Standing and moving throughout the day can help you break through that brain fog that comes with being sedentary for long periods of time. Why? Because being on your feet helps increases alertness, which leads to more momentum and greater productivity. 87% of employees who use standing desks report feeling more energetic during the workday.
- Reduces pain and discomfort: For many individuals, sitting at a desk all day can cause back or neck pain, headaches, and more. Coping with this discomfort naturally decreases concentration and focus, leading to lowered productivity. Standing, even if only for a short time, can help alleviate much of the problem.
How to choose a standing desk
With so many options on the market, how do you know which brand or style is best for you?
- Check for height: Most standing desks on the market today allow for a wide range of heights. Those who are very short or very tall, however, might have issues. Check the manufacturer’s specifications and make sure the desk can accommodate your frame.
- Choose an easy-to-assemble option: Unless you’re going to hire someone to put together your new desk for you, look for an option that is easy to assemble. Some options, such as standing desk converters, are relatively small, light, and don’t require a lot of labor to put together.
- Special features: Some standing desks come with a variety of add-on options such as trays that hold wires or a tabletop you can write on. Think about what features might be helpful for you or might help increase productivity before making a purchase.
Once you’ve purchased your new desk, make the adjustment slowly. Many experts suggest starting with 30- to 60- minute intervals, switching between sitting and standing. Try to do too much at once and you may end up exhausted at the end of the day!
This is just some of the value you can get when partnering with GetReorganized.com™. If you’d like more tips, advice or suggestions on how to be more productive and organized, book a 15-minute productivity assessment.
Be Well. Be Organized.
Make sure you are following GetReorganized.com™ so you don’t miss out on fresh organizing tips, ideas, and inspiration!
Be #InstaOrganized! Follow us on Instagram
A pin a day keeps the organizer away! Check out our boards on Pinterest
Tweet us and follow our Twitter
Like (or love) our Facebook Page
Prefer the professional approach? We’re also on LinkedIn
Learn more about Professional Organizing at www.GetReorganized.com
Stop the procrastination and BOOK A FREE PHONE CONSULTATION